Small Business Looking To Hire? Read These 5 Hiring Tips First!
Here are a few hiring tips I would share with a small business which is seeking to hire new staff.
- Hire for attitude, train for skill. Certainly some skills are needed but great skill with a bad attitude can be a disaster.
- Be incredibly clear up front as to the expectations for the position. Use metrics. Help the person know what it will take to do a “good job”.
- Check references and ask good questions when you do.
- Be slow to hire. It is more important to get the right person than it is to get a warm body quickly.
- Be willing to bring in a consultant to help in the selection process. It is worth the investment to increase the odds that the person will work out.
Just follow these hiring tips, and it should help your business.